Friday, April 3, 2009

Awakening or Shallow Roots?

I sat down to post this 10 times in the past week & a half but it seems like I've been inundated by drama and from every angle, none of it mine, all of it unwanted, most of it unnecessary. I guess that's life during tough times?
I've written about EDR06 in the past but the short of it is, I went to follow my good friends on another hair brained idea/adventure, we already had quite a few crazy times under our belts some great, some stressful and even some lucrative, but all memorable. EDR06 was, has been & still is all of the above.
April 06, I had never powered up a welder, picked up an angle grinder, seen copy of  Street chopper, Dice, or Greasy Culture. Basically I bolted some shit on a used Ducati and showed up 25 min after everyone had split for the Mexico boarder. The morning after arriving at Rueben's Campo I finally got to check out the bikes. As I was going from bike to bike the crew from Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona came thundering into camp said a brief hello, nice to meet you and immediately downed a bottle of tequilla and quite a few beers. 
Instantly I was drawn to the girder on the raw Panhead, I could tell it was done by hand & I already knew it was ridden hard. Later on that afternoon I met George & Wendy Counes of Spartan Frame works, they're good people, George is a straight shooter and craftsman in every sense of the word, Every time I see that girder I still get the same feeling I did that morning in San Felipe. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to build around one.

4 comments:

Rudder & Chris B. said...

'hand of doom'

yeah, baby!

Anonymous said...

Solid Roots I'd say...You been chopping shit for years just switched up the medium. Freight train rolling, get on board or get out of the way.

V-V

Harold McGruther said...

You're a natural. It's just like working on bicycles, 'cept the nuts are bigger. The bike's; not ours. Or perhaps I should speak for myself?

Bill said...

Sorry, Kim.

On the way to Baja in the early morning. I feel your pain...

Love,
Bill